When you or a loved one suffers an injury because of someone else’s actions or negligence, you have legal rights. At Emmanuel, Sheppard and Condon, we’re here to help. Our Pensacola personal injury firm has been representing victims for over 100 years.
Dealing with the aftermath of being injured can be scary and confusing. You may suddenly find yourself neck-deep in medical bills, unable to work and unable to enjoy life. We’re here to help make things right. Our attorneys will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. We may be able to get compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- And much more
Call our firm in Pensacola at 850-444-4878 or in Sandestin at 850-460-8000 for a free, no-obligation consultation to learn more about how we can help you.
Types of Personal Injury Claims
Any time you or a loved one is injured by someone else, it could be the basis of a personal injury lawsuit. While there are dozens of types of personal injury claims, some are much more common than others. These include:
- Car accident claims: Personal injury claims can be filed on behalf of individuals that are seriously injured in car, truck, motorcycle and boat accidents. Causes of motor vehicle accidents include driver error, driving while intoxicated and defective auto parts.
- Defective products: When injuries are caused by faulty or unsafe products due to poorly conceived or manufactured products, and/or lack of directions or safety information, the injured person can seek compensation for their injuries. Defective product claims have been filed for all types of items, ranging from car seats and cribs to sports equipment and heavy machinery.
- Premise liability claims: Premise liability claims can be filed on behalf of people that are injured because a building owner or manager failed to provide proper safety warnings, emergency exit information, or other necessary provisions to provide a safe environment for employees, customers, visitors and others. Slip-and-fall cases are a common example of premise liability claims.
- Wrongful death: when an individual is killed as a result of negligence, a wrongful death lawsuit may be filed on behalf of his or her surviving family members. These claims may cover final medical expenses, funeral costs, emotional turmoil and more.
How to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit
If you believe you might have a personal injury case in Pensacola, it’s important to speak with an attorney sooner rather than later. Florida’s statute of limitations gives victims four years after the date of the incident to file a lawsuit. After deciding whether you’re going to move forward with the lawsuit, your attorney will likely ask for a few pieces of information from you.
First, they’ll want to know what was happening that caused the accident. For instance, if you suffered a slip-and-fall injury, they may want to know if the property owner knew the floor was wet, and if they’d taken proper precautions to fix the problem. This will help lay the groundwork of your lawsuit.
Second, they’ll want any documentation you have of monetary loss you’ve suffered due to the injury. As such, you’ll need to keep track of medical bills, pay stubs to show lost wages, and even proof of property damage, if it was associated to the incident. Be sure to document everything, even if you don’t think it’s significant.
Finally, your attorney may ask you about your pain levels and other issues associated with pain and suffering. It’s important to talk to your doctor to evaluate your condition as you continue the healing process, and document pain levels. You should also have your doctor document issues such as mental anguish. These could be important parts of your lawsuit.
Talk to a Pensacola Personal Injury Attorney Today
Serious personal injuries and the death of a loved one can result in a great deal of hardship and challenges for an entire family. The personal injury team at Emmanuel, Sheppard & Condon is here to help. If you feel that you might have a claim, contact us for a free review of your case. We will listen to the details of your situation and provide you with a assessment of your case. For a free personal injury consultation, please call 850-444-HURT (4878) or contact us online.